Jogged for 3:05, Walked for 6

Thank you all for your kind comments on my blog yesterday. I think yesterday was kind of a breakthrough for me.

It has made me wonder why I am so fearful of this journey. Why does the idea of jogging for any greater increase in minutes scare me? That just doesn't make any sense ... it's what I want. I want to be able to jog and jog and be able to feel like I could jog forever. I have heard it is a wonderful, powerful feeling. But the idea of jogging 3:30, 4:00, 7:00 ... and 15:00??? What?!? I feel a panic deep in my stomach at the idea. But why??

It feels like I AM running, but not in the right kind of way. I'm running away from running ... ? Now, Auburn, that just doesn't make sense, girlie.

When I am actually jogging, all the worries of the world, of my job, of everything, slips from my mind momentarily. I just think of putting one foot in front of the other ... and only thinking about that slow-moving clock on the display screen. :)

But then I dread the next jog. I fear that I won't be able to do it. Why? Why do you do that, Auburn? So what if you can't jog for three minutes or whatever! Bet you could tomorrow, so just try today.

I feel like a fricken dual personality, and one half of my personality is a real Debbie Downer. And I feel like I keep grabbing her by the shoulders and keep giving her a good shake, and she just keeps moaning and crying about stuff.

Sorry for all the talking out loud. I am hoping that I will have an epiphany ... but not yet ...

So, for my stats tonight, as promised, I jogged 3:05, walked for 6. I went 2.200 miles, burned 362 calories, and it took me 51:00.

So... there may not be a jog tomorrow. I'm pulling a 12 hour day (7:00-7:00). Goodie. Yay for Open Houses! Blegh.

So ... if anyone can shed some light on my duality, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to be scared of the Mile.

Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." But he never had to run a mile.

Tacky, tacky.

3 comments:

  1. I feel ya, homeslice. Hang in there - your mind is stronger than your body, so turn it on itself - go ahead and give 'er a good shake!! You are the strongest, so don't let her push you around!

    You inspired my blog post today - hope you don't mind being name-dropped. :D

    (and good luck with your marathon day.)

     
  2. You are making progress!!! Remember that!! And the fact that you can recall how it does feel good when you are running, another sign of progress. Having said that, I think there are going to be days that are hard no matter how long we've been running. Todays run for me was FABULOUS! The previous run was so freakin hard and I wanted to sit by the side of the trail and cry. No joke!
    And taking the occasional day off from running is actually a good thing for your mind and your body. I'm going to say this again, but really, really you need to read "Running for Mortals"!!!
    You're doing great-hang in there. you'll be so glad you did!!

     
  3. Amy, I just ordered 'Running for Mortals' off of Amazon, so it oughta be here sometime maybe next week. I was also a sucker for their feature of "People who bought this item also bought this!" and I bought 'No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running.' Sounds like good reading! Thanks for the tip. :)