Jogged for 2:55, Walked for 5

This jog was brought to you by my husband, Phil, who saw me sitting at the computer last night (ironically reading weight-loss blogs) and asked in a not-so-innocent voice, "So ... have you done your jog today?" And I answered, "Yeeeesssss...?" in a voice which clearly said I-am-lying-to-you-but-I-hope-you-do-not-call-me-on-it, but he totally did. And with a deep sigh and a realization that he was totally right ... if not a little irritating ... I lugged myself to the treadmill.

It was rough, but it wasn't as bad as the night before. I have noticed today that I am sore on my thighs right above the knees (approximately in the area where resting my hands comfortably on the end of my thighs would be ... that entire handspan is sore!). Perhaps I am burning off that *attractive* doolap which folds over the top of the knee ... ? One can only hope!

Also, I learned something kind of neat about my treadmill. Before I started jogging, I played around with the "weight-loss" function that my treadmill offers. Supposedly, you can put in your weight and how many calories you want to burn, but it only allows you to work in a 20-minute timespan, so I was not interested in that. I had already punched in my weight, but I exited the program and did my jog as ususal. I was surprised that the calorie-counter was so very high last night! At first (my brain being depleted of oxygen since it was all going to my lungs to help me ... you know ... live), I thought, "Wow! Five seconds being added on here really made a HUGE difference!" And then I realized that it was actually calculating how many calories I am burning given my current weight (the treadmill was set for 150 pounds ... which is, incidentally, in my Dream World that is Future Auburn, my goal weight ... and that is a far cry from where I am now). I am skeptical of this counter ever since I read an article posted by Jenn which stated that these calorie-counters are over-inflated anyway ... which really depressed me ... thanks a lot, Jenn. :P (Oh, I'm just kidding. You know I heart you!) So I'm gonna report the calories burned as it told me, which is almost 100 calories more than it has been. Oh, well. It is what it is.

So, I jogged for 2:55, walked for 5 minutes. I went 2.173 miles, burned 359 calories, and it took me 50:00. At least I did it without stopping, though!

Well, tonight is the big THREE MINUTE MARK! I am friggin' excited! And friggin' scared! Why does getting fit have to be such a mental battle?! Wish me luck, friends! I will probably be jogging tonight after supper (Phil is offering to perhaps take me out on a date!), so I might not post again tonight if I'm too tired after the jog. We shall see. I will definitely let you know, though! Thanks for all of your continued support!!

6 comments:

  1. Luckluckluckluck!!! :D

    And, yeah, though those calorie burner counters are kinda nice, I'm also skeptical of them. But I've used the weight loss setting on the treadmills at school, and it's nice that they automatically give you a speed for warming up and cooling down. I still like to run by my music, though, and just change the speed as necessary.

    VWoD: whijamma! Sounds like an awesome onomatopoeia. Like, maybe when you hit someone during a pillow fight? WHIJAMA! Hahaha!

     
  2. Thanks, Taffy, but there was no jog tonight. A migraine leveled me pretty much after I wrote my blog, and I have spent much of the evening trying to keep the room from spinning. Three minutes will come tomorrow. Now I've gotta get some shut-eye. Ughhhhh ...

     
  3. Hope you are feeling better!
    Once you tackle that headache I know you'll be able to do the 3 minutes!!
    Also, I would like to reccomend a book that I found incredibly informative, as well as inspirational. Not to mention making my running experience way more enjoyable. Yes, you read that right, enjoyable!
    "Running For Mortals" by John Bingham and Jenny Hadley is the book. I really can't say enough good things about this book. LOVED it!!
    Good luck with the 3 minutes!!!

     
  4. Actually, I think it might be Jenny Hadfield? It's listed on the side bar of my blog either way!

     
  5. You are doing so well! Oooh, going to check out that book Amy mentions myself, it sounds good!

    I have The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik which I really enjoy.

    Have you heard of the C25K programme by Cool Running - lots of us are doing that in order to be able to run a whole 5K.

    I just read your first entry (I always do that when I find a new-to-me blog) and I see you have asthma and tore a muscle in your back previously. Heh, ditto! I am always wary of hurting my back and always carry my inhaler with me. So far so good (despite being quite old and decrepit, lol).

    Hope your migraine gets better soon!

     
  6. Oh man, don't shoot the messenger, lol!
    Sorry your head's hurting you - hope it clears up soon. My hubby had migraines for years - he found out he was allergic to nuts! Once he stopped eating them - no more headaches.