Beef and Barbeque

So my husband's side of the family is having a cattle sale to thin down the numbers of our herd ... and to, let's face it, bring in some cash. We have registered Hereford (pronounced "Her-ferd," at least 'round these parts) cattle, and they look like this:


(This bull's name was Mo. This is actually a photo that I took last summer while standing on my back deck. Are there any further questions about whether or not I live in the country???)

Anyway, it is amazing to me that whenever we go to a cattle auction, there are two choices of food: hamburgers, which are beef but called ham, and barbeque, which is pork but passes for beef. Neither of which are good when I'm trying to diet. I think I am doomed for tomorrow. But maybe our cattle will sell well! Here's to hoping. :)

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the sale girl! And I know you'll do ok with the eating...you can eat anything...just watch the portion sizes, and fill up later on less calorie-dense foods. :)

     
  2. Well, the cattle sold fair -- not great, but in this economy, I guess it was all right. It was more exciting than we anticipated, though: a cow clocked my uncle-in-law in the jaw while in the sale ring, and he fell backwards and hit his head on the solid steel guard (which, ironically, is there for him to hide behind in case a cow IS acting a little crazy). It knocked him out for two minutes, and he had to be taken to the hospital to get stitches. We were afraid for a minute there that we weren't going to get the cow out of the ring fast enough; she almost trampled him, too. He will be all right, though; my husband said that the uncle was cracking jokes while he was leaving for the hospital, so that's good news. It was just humbling and scary. Made such frivolous things such as hamburgers and diets and jogging seem distant and far away.

     
  3. Oh gosh - how scary! I'm glad to hear that he wasn't too seriously injured.

     
  4. And PS...mmmm bbq is quite a diet-buster. How'd it go?