I jogged!

So, today, I got home from a very long day, wary of the even longer day that I know I'm going to have to have tomorrow, and I was feeling sorry for myself in general. (Tomorrow is going to be one grueling meeting after another, most of which seem to revolve around either my incompetence as a teacher since I can't seem to satisfy this insurmountable workload, or committees which will be discussing eliminating my job altogether. I have a bad feeling that I will be lucky to get through the day tomorrow without crying ... and I can't tell you how much I dread that.) So I got dressed in my workout clothes with all the speediness of a snail, and lowered my treadmill to the ground, and stared at it.

Nope. How can you run with a dead battery? No. I wussed out.

So I took Lola for a walk, with my tail between my legs. I had some thinking to do.

With the autumn breeze blowing, and walking out in the fields with my wiggly little black lab puppy, I had this following thought:

How can I be Jogging Auburn if I don't jog?

Does that just make me Auburn?

Is being Just Auburn working for me? .... no.

So, then, I'm a hypocrite. Not living up to my name. The name I gave myself for this moment, to remind myself that that is who I want to be, even if it is not who I am.

How can I continue to blog about the Quest for a Mile if I'm scared to jog? If I'm too drained to jog?

So I got home, and decided that I needed to jog again. But I also knew in my heart of hearts that I am starting off with a battery that is much more drained than back in the summer, which I enjoyed the delicacy of regular sleeping habits and lack of stress.

And I also remembered that I promised myself back in the day that I would not make myself jog at a pace that seemed unattainable, that was not fun, that was too hard. And I simply knew that I could not jog for one minute increments.

And then I briefly felt disgusted.

And then I picked myself back up again and thought, "Well, what CAN you do? Can you jog for 30 second increments?"

And I decided that surely I could jog for thirty seconds at a time.

And I thought that I need to pursue that Quest again. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO RUN A MILE! So, I am going to jog every day, at what I can do that day, until I can jog for 2 minute increments. Then I will begin to add in cross-training.

So, I jogged tonight. Jogged for 30 seconds, walked for 2 minutes. I only was able to go a little over thirty minutes before I got dizzy enough that I almost fell off the treadmill, and I remembered that I wouldn't push myself beyond what was safe/attainable, so I gave it a rest.

It is a Start. It is a Renewal. It is a Beginning. It is the Quest.

And I can do this. One step at a time.

With y'all's help, of course. :)

7 comments:

  1. I hope today goes okay. Keep us posted! Great job on your jogging yesterday!

     
  2. Hi Auburn. A beautifully written post. So glad you managed to do your jogging.

    I hope there was a positive outcome from those work meetings. Sounds very stressful. Hope it went OK.

    Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx

     
  3. I wanna hear how the meetings went! And I'm glad you jogged! Did I help with this decision after we got off Fbook chat? lol

    Have a great day!

     
  4. Yeah, I'm so glad you're jogging again!
    Those meetings sound brutal. Definitely not good for the self esteem. Ugh! My thoughts are with you and best of luck with it all!!
    Can I look you up on FB?

     
  5. Great job Auburn! What you're doing is intervals - a great way of gradually building stamina as well as burning fat.

    I was an elementary school nurse for 4 years, and now work at a program for Developmentally Disabled kids and adults, so I can only imagine how frustrating your work must be. Hang in and remember the rich life you have away from the aggravations at work!

    Keep on Jogging, Auburn :)

     
  6. Be patient, it takes time to get to running easily. I have been at it since April/May and it has only just fallen into place.

    How are you doing now, after your tough meeting? Missing you.

     
  7. Hi Auburn - I'm missing you! Hope all is well.

    You have an award to pick up from one of your fans - me. Hop over anytime to pick it up! Looking forward to hearing from you soon.